Gateways is an independent day school for girls aged two to 18 and boys aged two to 11. Situated on a 22 acre site in the rural village of Harewood, Gateways is conveniently located on the main artery between Leeds and Harrogate. Gateways is a small school, which allows staff to know their pupils, recognise their strengths and weaknesses and therefore provide a personal education getting the best out of each and every child who come through the gates.
Gateways is a forward thinking school built on traditional values.
We aim to:
Gateways was founded in 1941 by Nancy Simpson and Lillian Cox, teachers at Roundhay School. When war broke out in 1939, Miss Simpson and Miss Cox realised that parents in the professions and in business didn’t want to send their children away from home in wartime and that there was support for the kind of school they wanted to open. Gateways duly opened in September 1941 with just 15 pupils in a converted house in Alwoodley, Leeds. By the second term there were 30 pupils attending. Numbers quickly grew so that before long more space was required.
In 1947, the opportunity arose to lease the Dower House on the Harewood estate. Helped by the advice of Ronald Schofield, Managing Director of Schofields Department store, Miss Cox and Miss Simpson, seized their chance. The school continued to grow and flourish becoming successful in its founders’ vision for an all-round education for all. Miss Simpson left in 1955 to marry Sir Alfred Wort, High Court Judge for India. Miss Cox remained as sole headmistress until her retirement in 1963.
Successive headmistresses have overseen further developments to the school in the intervening years with extensive new buildings being created and state-of-the-art facilities being added right up to the present day. Within the 20-acre site, the original Dower House is still very much at the heart of the school, surrounded by the modern structures that have grown up around it.